Saturday, May 19, 2007

Minneapolis Bike to Work Day

A total of 7 riders showed up for the Minnehaha Park Bike to Work route Friday morning, including myself. The fact that 4 were Hiawatha Regulars who actually were not going to work, and a fifth was a Hiawtha Regular who was detouring out of his way to work means we really had one rider who showed up purely because it was bike to work day. It matters not, it was still a fun ride. Sort of like a Saturday Morning ride, but on a Friday.


We were waiting at the stoplight (because we're all responsible types) across the street from the Plaza when the skies opened up. As we ducked into a bus shelter, most of the folks on the plaza headed for the hills. We never really saw the plaza before the rain started, but I was left with the impression that it was sort of a small turnout.


I think the city dropped the ball this year on promoting this event. As a ride leader I got a few emails about promotions, but they were always only one day's notice or same day, so I was never able to help out. I'm guessing a lot of people had the same type of scenario. We never even got pdf files of the fliers until Monday of this week. Great idea, poor execution. But I will do it again next year, given the opportunity. If nothing else, I get the opportunity to ride with some supportive friends.


Date: May 18
Mileage: 25
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Jamis
May mileage: 263
Year to date mileage: 1553

No comments: