Sunday, November 05, 2006

Vehicle Update

It's been an unproductive week here at the Velocipete HQ. The kids picked up some kind of plague and now it's been transferred to Mrs. Velocipete. I've either already had an extremely mild version or I'm coming down with it, and I can't for the life of me figure out which. This is causing not much to get done. Yesterday I was on a quest to get my blinkers to blink on my 1990 Montero. I've been driving around for at least a month manually moving the blinker wand up and down to get an artifical "blink" from the turn signals. I know that the left rear signal is completely non-functional, and it's bothering me a bit. So Saturday I did some interweb digging and found a salvage yard in Rosemount that was supposed to have a Montero. I drove out there with one daughter only to find they didn't. We stopped at Checker on the way home and bought a new flasher. But the one they sold me had three prongs and I couldn't find anything under the dash that remotely resembled it. I spent probably an hour taking apart the dash with no luck. So I did some testing and found that the true flasher only has two prongs. I removed it and took the part back to Checker. They don't carry one that will work. So I either need to find a vehicle at salvage with the flasher and rear taillight assembly or go the dealer. This is a whole lot more work than I'm interesting in doing for a vehicle I'm probably going to unload soon.

I spent some time in the garage this afternoon cleaning a whole lotta stuff that has been piling up. The garage is now in a state where, once my current basement shelving project is done, I'll actually be able to park both cars in there again! And more importantly, I've got space to do bike repairs. So I took advantage of that and replaced the brakes on the Raleigh during the Vikings game. I got a pair of NOS Coda cantilever brakes from eBay for about $20, so I won't be too heartbroken if they're trashed come spring. Now I can confidently brake with both front and rear brakes. What a concept! Now I just need to do something about the drivetrain. Work, work, work.

Date: November 2
Mileage: 20
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Schwinn
November mileage: 20
Year to date mileage: 2931

Date: November 3
Mileage: 20
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Schwinn
November mileage: 20
Year to date mileage: 2951

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I really, really hope you've had the mild version of this foul plague.

Tex69 said...

sounds like you had the same luck mechanically that i had electronically this weekend. at least you made forward bike repair momentum.

and good luck with the pestilence.

Jonathan Siberry said...

sounds like you have had a rubbish week, and im not supprised a un productive one.

Hope next week is better

Jonathan (vehicle salvage specialist)