Tuesday, May 16, 2006

National Bike to Work Week

So here we are in the midst of National Bike Month (coincidentally, it's also National Masturbation Month). This week is also Bike to Work Week in Minneapolis. Show your bike helmet at the Lake Calhoun Whole Foods Market and get a free breakfast snack. And finally, Friday is National Bike to Work day. If you live in the Minneapolis area and can drag yourself out of bed in time to get to a meeting point by 6:45, join one of the organized rides into downtown Minneapolis. As mentioned before, I'll be leading the route coming from Minnehaha Park. And there was much rejoicing.

So here we are, within spitting distance of the biggest bicycle commuting day of the year. And the first day in recent memory that there has been no rain and the sun actually shone. And I drove.

I had great intentions. I had my jersey and bike shorts on this morning. But then my kids started telling me that the book fair and art fair at the school was tonight. So I changed into business attire and drove. Sure, I could have ridden to the park-n-ride and caught the train in the morning and the evening, but I didn't trust myself. If I had gotten off work this afternoon and found it as beautiful as it was I don't think I could have stayed on the train. Can you blame me?

Date: May 15
Mileage: 25
Ride type: Commute
May mileage: 176
Year to date mileage: 1363

2 comments:

KM said...

Pete

Where are you starting from in Minnehaha Park on Friday? I am off but will ride with you anyway.

Kevin

Frostbike said...

It's the pavilion, the one kind of between 46th and 50th. Sea Salt is located there along with the bike rentals and whatnot. We'll be gathering near the picnic tables outside. I'm planning another post with more details. Stay tuned!