Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Solstice

Today's the shortest day of the year. This is a big day for me, as a bike commuter. This means that, even though it won't be noticeable for another few months the days are getting longer rather than shorter. Every day is one day closer to not riding to work in the dark and riding home in the dark. It kind of wears on me after a while, so I'm happy.

This is the Greenway on Thursday, my last commute of the year. I'm off until January 3. The city hasn't done the best job of clearing it, nothing like the last couple of years. This is approximately 5:30 on my way home, and it's dark as all get out.


My bike on the Greenway, festooned with Christmas Cheer


And these last two were taken this morning on the way to the Hiawatha ride. This was about 7:30, and it's just starting to get light out. Normally, I would be at work by this point.


The theme of the day in these photos is dark, grey and dreary. Bring on the sunshine, baby.

Date: December 18
Mileage: 18
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Raleigh Triumph
December mileage: 88
Year to date mileage: 3881

Date: December 19
Mileage: 18
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Raleigh Triumph
December mileage: 106
Year to date mileage: 3899

Date: December 20
Mileage: 14
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Raleigh Triumph
December mileage: 120
Year to date mileage: 3915

Date: December 22
Mileage: 14
Ride type/Bike: Hiawatha/Raleigh Triumph
December mileage: 134
Year to date mileage: 3929

2 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I read this when you first posted it and forgot to tell you that it caused me to research the solstice and that has led to more research about related things (astronomy, seasons, weather, history of xmas, etc.). Thanks.

Frostbike said...

Entertaining and educational!