Thursday, February 21, 2008

Good week

Even though work has been crazy, it's been a good week on the home front for me. First off, MN/Dot finally got off their butts and plowed the Mendota Bridge. It doesn't take much to make me happy, and this works. What a huge difference in my commute that one mile can make.

On the way home from work on Tuesday, I saw a big group (flock?) of turkeys on the side of the road. I always like these little nature encounters, and these guys were nice enough to stand still so I could get a picture (best viewed large). I was pushing the limits of the new little Canon, as I know these point and shoots don't do so well in low light and the daylight was fading fast. The pictures turned out better than I expected, lighting wise. I still suck ass when it comes to composition. But I'd rather just whip out the camera and half-ass it and get OK shots than spend a whole lot of time and effort studying photography only to still suck. It's good to know ones limitations.

And in other news, the Mrs. and I celebrated our 14 year wedding anniversary on Tuesday. To commemorate such an occasion we put an ungodly portion of my bonus into orthodontic treatment for the girls, had a home cooked dinner and crashed early. Romance, thy name is us. 14 years. That's over 5,000 days of wedded bliss. As I said to the Mrs. early in our relationship, "I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it." Here's to another 5,000 with me, darlin'.


Date: February 19
Mileage: 18
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Triumph
February mileage: 149
Year to date mileage: 458

Date: February 21
Mileage: 12
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Triumph
February mileage: 161
Year to date mileage: 470

3 comments:

Apertome said...

I always like seeing turkeys. Doesn't happen as often as I'd like, they always crack me up.

As someone who is really into photography, I've found that taking snapshots while I ride can be liberating -- not worrying about the technical details like camera settings and just seeing what turns out. Sometimes I'll think about composition a little, but mostly it's just snapshots.

It's different from more deliberate photography, but it lets me shoot more to document things than for some greater artistic purpose. There's something to be said for both.

Happy anniversary! Here's looking forward to many more.

I really have no idea what you just said about days, but obviously it's just one of those things that only you two can understand. And that's just fine.

Yon Saucy Wench said...

I really have to see that movie sometime.

Snakebite said...

Congrats on the longevity to you and the saucy wench.