Saturday, May 03, 2008

Injury time out

I've been riding injured for the last month or two, and it's bugging the crap out of me. Sometime in late February or early March, right after I added the rear basket to my winter bike I managed to hurt myself. I know it was after the big basket, because that was the cause of the injury. While mounting the bike one morning I swung my leg over the saddle and top tube and hit the basket with my foot. To be sure I didn't hit the basket again, I really raised my leg up high on the next attempt. And something in my leg/groin area went "Ouch!" It was a minor twinge and I didn't think anything of it at the time. But here it is May 3, I haven't ridden the winter bike in over a month and it's still bugging me.

When I first started to notice it, I thought there was something wrong with my hip. The outside of the hip socket is where I started to notice some discomfort. In retrospect it is probably because the muscle on the inside of my thigh isn't working as hard as it should and that puts additional pressure on that part of the joint. It never bothers me while I'm on the bike, only while walking. But it was getting worse. The hypochondriac in me started to worry about hip replacement (I'm not even 40!). I hobbled around for the better part of 6 weeks, feeling it slowly get worse. Last week I would sometimes wake up when rolling over in bed because of the discomfort. I hesitate to call it pain, because there are so many people out there with so much worse pain to live with. But I'm a heavy sleeper so if something is waking me up it causes me to pause.

After talking with my wife, who is more of an athlete than I am, I'm pretty sure it's a groin pull. So I'm going to start in with the R.I.C.E. plan, including taking 3 days off the bike (yesterday, today and tomorrow). Maybe Monday too, we'll see. This must mean I'm an athlete. Either that or I'm getting old. Probably the latter.

Date: April 30
Mileage: 24
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Kuwahara
April mileage: 445
Year to date mileage: 1324

Date: May 1
Mileage: 24
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Kuwahara
April mileage: 24
Year to date mileage: 1348

6 comments:

Yon Saucy Wench said...

I wouldn't call myself more of an athlete than you (after all, I'm not the one riding thousands of miles a year). We just tend to gravitate toward different sporty things.

If things haven't improved after a couple of days of r.i.c.e, I'm making an appt. for you to go see Dr. D.

Jim Thill said...

It's cute how you two communicate through the comment threads on this blog.

I've pulled my groin in the past, but only for recreation.

Frostbike said...

After 14 years of marriage, we have a strict "blog only" communication policy.

rigtenzin said...

Hey, Mr. Hypochondriac! Don't worry. I'm sure it's not that rare form of rabies that's going around transmitted by really small spiders that live in homes. Although I heard that this rare disease has a very unusual symptom that first appears as a groin injury.

Frostbike said...

Aaaaaahhhh!

Yon Saucy Wench said...

Communicate, setting the record straight, tomato, toMAHto...