Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Crosstown Traffic

Date: March 21
Mileage: 21
Ride type: Commute
March mileage: 167
Year to date mileage: 616
snowplow on the bike path

Man, traffic was horrible today. And I don't get to say that very often. The truck pictured above was driving down the river road bike path this morning. The truck was weaving from side to side plowing back what little snow there was that didn't get plowed from the edge of the path last week. And every time he'd hit a patch of snow he'd slow down and I would be right on top of him. There was no quick pull over and let me by manuver like KM experienced with the sweeper. I followed him from just north of Minnehaha Park to about 28th where he finally pulled over to the side. Which was right after I got my camera out, so I couldn't get a better shot of me tailgating him.

It's a good thing I rode all the way in this morning. I did it because the kids are away on spring break and I can leave whenever I want to. So I woke up, put my cycling gear on and headed out. Once I reached downtown I stopped at the YMCA for a quick shower and then on to work. I ended up getting in about 8:30, which is a little earlier than my usual. Blah blah, I did work stuff until about 3:30, when I got a call. A project (that I wasn't working on) was having a post install problem and the project manager was out of the office. So I get on the bridge call. Fast forward to 7:30 PM and I'm just getting ready to leave. So by the time I take care of stuff, it's quarter to 8. After that I would have gladly gotten into my car, turned the radio up loud and driven home. But I didn't have that option.

Instead of my original plan of riding home I decided to take the train. I just wasn't in the mood to ride. I got on at the Warehouse District stop and rode until I started to get restless, around 38th. I finally got off the train at the 50th Street/Minnehaha Park station and rode home from there. My computer (yes, I rode the Schwinn again) said 14.5 miles in the morning so that route is about 7 miles, including the downtown piece to get to LRT. It's not a bad option for when I want to tack on another mile or two.

I got home and started working on my homework, which is due tomorrow. I got as far as I could get, and now I'm throwing in the towel. It works, but it's not complete. I'm going to lose some points, but at this point I'm not really concerned about it. I'm just ready for bed.

No comments: