Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bike Commuter Knowledge needed

Calling all commuters! There is a semi-impromptu lunch meeting tomorrow in downtown Minneapolis to discuss/brainstorm how businesses can make themselves more bike and pedestrian friendly for their employees and customers.

Here is the task: In the effort to offer businesses and new developments information on how to make their operations bike and ped friendly and oriented to customer service: 1) build a list of "need to have" accommodations and facilities needed at a commercial/retail establishment to serve their biking and walking customers and/or employees (and if time allows, a list of "nice to have"). 2) And then generate a list of examples in the Twin Cities and elsewhere of businesses that you feel have successfully implemented some level of bike/ped accommodations into their transportation plans and building design.

The details are kind of sketchy (from what I know today, it's 11:30 at Eddington's in the Pillsbury center, subject to verification). I'm planning to attend, and I would be interested in hearing good or bad from any readers that I can share with the group. I know what my employer offers, but I'd especially like to know if anybody local has an employer or business who is doing "all the right things" for bikers and walkers. Leave a comment or shoot me an e-mail (frosti AT gmail DOT com). If you're interested in attending the lunch (pay your own way) let me know and I'll make sure to update you on the final time/location.

6 comments:

Sparky said...

Way cool, go get 'em.

I'm curious, who is sponsoring the meeting? Keep up the good work, amigo.

Frostbike said...

The meeting is being held by MnDOT. Specifically, it's the Office of Transit - Bicycle and Pedestrian Section.

Good work? I'm just going to lunch!

Tuffy said...

Hey...say you tonight (Tues) on West River Road. Helluva paint job on that Schwinn (that's how I recognized you). We were going opposite directions and you were too far gone by the time I put 1 and 1 together...

Frostbike said...

You saw me? I didn't see anybody with shades and a big-ass afro. ;-)

KM said...

Pete

Must haves: onsite secure parking, onsite shower/locker facilities -- what else does one need?

Nice to haves: on-site bike mechanic; parking valet who pumps your tires, lubes your chain before handing your bike to you; roadside emergency service ;-)

Cheers

Anonymous said...

The Bike Worker website talks about some of this stuff, from a biker's POV.