Friday, April 07, 2006

My plans took a skid

Date: April 5
Mileage: 25
Ride type: Commute
April mileage: 72
Year to date mileage: 778

Date: April 7
Mileage: 25
Ride type: Commute
April mileage: 97
Year to date mileage: 803

The plan for today:
Jump out of bed right when the alarm goes off at 6:00am, excited about the ride. Quickly dress in bike clothes, eat breakfast and be on the road by 6:30am. Get to the downtown Y by 7:30, shower and be to work by 8.

The reality:
Crawl out of bed close to 6:30am after the third snooze. Slowly got dressed, ate breakfast and went to the garage to get the bike. Flat tire on the Schwinn. I ran over something Wednesday and I heard it make a crunching sound, but never saw what it was. Apparantly it was sharp. Looked at the bike with the flat, looked at the truck. Thought about how it would be a pain in the ass to go back inside, shower, change clothes and drive. Called an audible. I took just the essentials out of my pannier and put them in my messenger bag. Grabbed the Jamis and headed in. Battled a fierce headwind (23mph according to Paul Douglas) and got to the downtown Y a little after 8. Showered. Realized that my half awake transfer of essentials to the messenger bag failed to include socks or underwear. Freeballed it over to Target. Bought socks (merino wool blend on sale for $2.49, so I bought 5 pair), underwear (Fruit of the Loom boxer brief 4-pack, on sale for $8.49) and an exercise shirt (something high-tech from Champion, a steal at $10) and headed to work. Got there at 8:45, 15 minutes earlier than "normal." Decided to keep one new pair of undies and one new pair of socks in the desk drawer to head of any future forgetfulness.

Loved the ride on the Jamis. I think I'm going to like this bike.

3 comments:

LvilleTex said...

good for you. serendipity can lead the way to pleasant accidents. glad you're enjoying the new mount.

Doug said...

I found this entry quite humerous. Sorry! But I know what those mornings are like and it's comforting to know I'm not the only one that has them. Glad to read that the Jamis won out over the truck. Excellent call!!

Frostbike said...

Thanks Karl, I appreciate the help. Now get over here and patch my tube! ;-)