Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Titles often Elude Me

So we finally got some snow here in Mpls/St Paul. I decided to be adventureous and ride the trike today instead of toddling along on the studded tires. I haven't ridden the trike in quite a while, and when my thighs were screaming Uncle! after about 10 miles I kind of remembered why. Damn, that thing's heavy. And slow. Probably almost as slow as the Raleigh with it's studs on.

But, it's a whole lot of fun. I was chugging along up some of the Eagan hills, cursing the heaviness and lack of plowing on the shoulders. When I hit the Highway 55 bridge I was pleasantly surprised to find it was plowed. But for some reason the plow left little piles of snow every 100 yards or so. When I hit the first one the trike slid sideways. There's nothing quite like sliding at about a 30 degree angle to the bridge pavement. But that's when it hit me. If I was on an upright, I would have been down. Sliding sideways on a bicycle is a unique feeling. I did it several more times on the way to and from work. There's a feeling of impending doom coupled with an endorphin rush, but no real danger. When I was flying down a hill on the river road that wasn't plowed well and started to shimmy, twist and vibrate, I actually giggled.

So it's heavy. That just means stronger leg muscles eventually, right?

Date: January 17
Mileage: 28
Ride type/Bike: Commute/Trike
January mileage: 166
Year to date mileage: 166

3 comments:

Snakebite said...

Got pics of this machine?

Sparky said...

Giggling. Yeah, I can see it. Stronger leg muscles and a better sense of humour. And an overdeveloped self-confidence in the snow. Hmm...

You could have titled this one Giggling on a Trike

rigtenzin said...

Yes. Let's see a photo of the trike.