Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Thinly Veiled Excuse To Post Photos of Hotties

I've been watching the Tour of California for the last few days (update, Levi Leipheimer is still winning). One of the bright points of last year's pro cycling season was the debut of the Specialized Angel. Not to remove any of her mystique, but the Angel is really Jana Ireton. Ms. Ireton was hired by Specialized to portray the Angel, who made numerous appearances at the Tour de France last year. This photo is from 2006, her inaugural year.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel
She's dressed in what I can only describe as an angelic cyclist. Huge wings and a taffeta skirt, but also wearing cycling-style knickers and shoes.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel
The outfit didn't change throughout the 2006 season. Not quite wholesome and innocent. After all, she is wearing a bustier. But fun. Someone you might want Mom to meet.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel

Fast forward one year, and the Angel is making her 2007 debut.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel
From a distance, it appears to be a minor costume change. The skirt is gone, the Specialized logo is slightly larger and she's not wearing cycling shoes.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel
But wait. When the sun hits her here, the reflection says something more. She's wearing vinyl or some other similar, kink-worthy material. But the coup de grace? Those boots.
Jana Ireton Specialized Angel
We've gone from kink to outright fetish-wear. I can hardly wait until next year.

4 comments:

~ lauren said...

her hair seems lighter too.

i don't know how she walks in those shoes. but i don't think most of the guys care.

and i don't quite remember how i got here, to your blog.

KM said...

Um, who needs an excuse?

Apertome said...

Great post! Those are some nice photos, and a great marketing campaign. Woke me up a little bit, as I've been sitting at my desk feeling like napping.

bobcullinan said...

sadly, the angel will not be back for the 2008 TofCA. I got this note from her today:

---------

Hello Bob,

Happy 2008! I hope all is well with you. Another great year of cycling is among us and TOC is less than a month away.

I was hoping to share the good news of my return as the Specialized Angel for the 3rd year, but Specialized did not ask for my return. I was heart-broken when they gave me the news that they decided to have another girl from Spain be the Angel at TOC this year. They thanked me for all I've done to make the Angel iconic and to not take it personal, but it was the majority opinion of having this someone be the Angel who spoke multiple languages and keeping it fresh for the press.

It was very difficult for me to imagine someone else in my wings. After all, I was the first Specialized Angel who the cycling industry was so taken with and I was so taken with them. Being that there has been one Devil (Didi Senft) in Europe for many years, I was dreaming whole-heartily of being the one Angel for the U.S. I do respect Specialized's decision for whomever they choose to be their Angel - I'm just disheartened that it will not be me.

I have to say as I told Specialized that I am truly grateful to have been the Specialized Angel all this time and will remember this amazing experience for the rest of my life. I've been able to embrace the cycling phenomenon like never before. I absolutely loved being at the KOMs, starts, & finishes blowing my signature kisses to all the riders, team cars, motorcades, police squad cars, caravan, and of course the fantastic fans. So a special thanks to you and Pez Cycling for featuring me these past 2 years and although you will not see me in my glorious wings, I will be along the sidelines cheering on the riders at various stages of TOC and enjoying every moment as I have always done. And yes, "I am Specialized"!

Kisses,
Jana Ireton