Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Evenflow

Date: January 17
Mileage: 18
Ride type: Commute
January mileage: 124
Year to date mileage:124

It's a little snowy out there, eh?


Once again, kudos to the Minneapolis parks & rec people for getting out and clearing the paths. I had a great, incident free ride home again even though we got a couple of inches last night. The sticky snow you see above was all picked up between Ft Snelling and the Highway 55 bridge.

I'm not sure what the difference was , but I felt totally at ease riding in the snow tonight. I met up with another cyclist while riding on the path along River Road, and we rode together for about 4 miles until we went our separate ways in Minnehaha Park. He was a total veteran, been doing the whole winter riding thing for about 15 years. I could tell he felt very comfortable on his bike, because whenever we would get to a hill or turn and I had the instinct to slow down he just kept on motoring. I kept on too and realized it wasn't that big of a deal. Then when we split I got into the deeper stuff you see above. It was like a game of memory match trying to remember where the clear portions of the trail were hidden under the new snow. But I had a whole flow kind of thing going on and just rolled through it. Didn't even dap once. Maybe it's because I was going through at a little bit faster pace that made the bike just want to get through it. It was rutty, twisty, lots of body english and handlebar twisting. But that was at one level. At another level, it all just felt smooth. I wasn't thinking about it, I was riding. Very zen like.

Can you tell I didn't shift much?






No comments: