Tuesday, January 24, 2006

To be free again

Date: January 24
Mileage: 18
Ride type: Commute
January mileage: 171
Year to date mileage: 171

A WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM CST THIS AFTERNOON.

STRONG WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OF
40 WILL CONTINUE ACROSS MOST OF CENTRAL MINNESOTA AND WEST
CENTRAL WISCONSIN TODAY UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON. WINDS WILL THEN
SLOWLY DIMINISH.

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 MPH OR MORE ARE
EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...
ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.

If yesterday was the strangest and longest commute of the winter, today was easily the best. When I woke up this morning, I could really feel last night's ride in my thighs. Then I heard about the above wind advisory while listening to KFAI (sorry, Alana!). Both of which nearly had me driving. But I decided to ride. The ride in was slow going due to the wind. It was especially bad on the Highway 55 bridge, where it was pretty much head on. I toughed it out and hoped the wind would hold until evening. It did.

When I left work I got on the River Road bike path and just started cruising. The wind was at my back and the path was completely clear of snow and ice. For the first time in several months I wasn't completely concentrating on where I was riding, and wondering if there was ice or not. I was just riding. This was like a summer commute, where the only thing that dictates my speed is how fast and hard my legs can turn the cranks. It was a joy.

1 comment:

Yon Saucy Wench said...

Yay! for a nice ride. :)