Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Rebel, Rebel

Date: February 1
Mileage: 20
Ride type: Commute
February mileage: 20
Year to date mileage:267

I woke up this morning and went outside to find a light coating of something like snow. But it was the strangest snow ever. It was super sticky and make biking really really slow. But at the same time it was crunchy. But it was also kinda slushy and easy to cut through. I'm sure there's an eskimo word for this kind of snow, but I don't know what it would be. As I rode through Ft Snelling I saw several bike tracks. But I liked the one in this picture the best. The path only goes about 50 feet, and I saw his or her tire tracks exit the path at the end. It's easier to just ride in the road, going on this path is not the most direct route. So I can only assume that the rider felt the need to ride directly over the no bikes stencil and make a point. Ride on, patriot.


The temp dropped a few degrees during the day and that slushy, crunchy, sticky stuff froze. The plow had been through the River Road trail, but I think they waited until too late in the day. Lots of patchy ice. I kept thinking, "OK, this is probably where I'm going to fall." Just thinking that over and over is kind of zen-like. It's a mantra. And I didn't fall. But there were a couple spots in Ft Snelling where I could feel the back end sliding. If I hadn't had the studded tires I think I would have gone down. All in all, not a bad day.

1 comment:

KM said...

Hey, glad you stopped by the shop. Sorry I missed you.

Cheers